Ringling Bros., First Lady Sandra Deal celebrate reading victory at Rockbridge Elementary
By: Curt Yeomans
Published: February 23, 2015
NORCROSS — It wasn’t the Circus McGurkus, but the show at Rockbridge Elementary School Monday may have still been astounding as pep rallies go.
Two hundred third-graders at the school were treated to a visit by Georgia First Lady Sandra Deal and clowns from Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey’s Circus during a circus-themed pep rally that turned the school’s gymnasium into a big top. The festive event was held in celebration of the students reading 3,394 books over a two-week period during a competition hosted by Ringling Bros.
Deal read Dr. Seuss’ “If I Ran the Circus” to the students during the pep rally. The story is about young Morris McGurk’s dreams of running the “astounding” Circus McGurkus in a cleaned up junk yard.
On Friday morning, the three classrooms whose students read the most books will go on a field trip to the circus, which is currently running at the Arena at Gwinnett Center. Ringling Bros. will also donate 100 circus-themed books to Rockbridge’s library.
The celebration was originally planned for Feb. 17, but was delayed until this week because of winter weather that plagued the area last week.
Share ThisPrint This Page
- Get Connected
- INSIDER E-Newsletter Signup
- Infinite Energy Center Blog
- Social Media
- Latest News & Press Releases
- Day 1: Christmas with Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith
- Day 2: Luis Miguel
- Day 3: The Nutcracker presented by Gwinnett Ballet Theatre
- Day 4: TWENTY ØNE PILØTS
- Day 5: Leadercast
- Day 6: Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Day 7: Professional Bull Riders
- Day 8: Atlanta Gladiators
- Day 9: Georgia Swarm
- Day 10: Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus
- Day 11: Harlem Globetrotters
- Day 12: Disney On Ice: Frozen
- Day 13: Peter Rabbit Tales
- Day 14: Mumford & Sons