Harlem Globetrotters bringing 'Fans Rule' Tour to Arena
By: Deanna Allen
Published: Thursday, March 13, 2014
Brother Bones’ whistled version of “Sweet Georgia Brown” — the Harlem Globetrotters’ signature song — will be heard throughout the Arena at Gwinnett Center on Saturday.
The exhibition basketball team, which combines athleticism, theater and comedy, will entertain Gwinnett fans with a game at 7:30 p.m. as the Globetrotters’ Blue Team brings the 2014 “Fans Rule” World Tour to the Arena.
Before fans head out to the game, they have the opportunity to go online to www.harlemglobetrotters.com/rule and vote for a new rule that will be added to the game each quarter.
“The fourth quarter is a live vote based on applause,” Globetrotter Buckets Blakes said.
New rules include the following:
• Make or Miss — This quarter starts with two players from each team. In order to get more players on the court the teams need to score. Each time a team scores, another player from that team may enter the court. However, for every shot the team misses they lose a player.
• Hot Hand Jersey — Both teams will have a hot hand jersey they can pass among each other to wear during this quarter. The player wearing the jersey will be awarded double points when they score.
• Trick Shot Challenge — Each team has three trick shot challenges during the quarter. If the team makes the trick shot challenge they get 5 points. If they miss, the other team gets the 5 points.
• 6 on 5 — Five Globetrotters will play six opponents.
• TWO Ball Basketball — Globetrotter basketball played with two balls at the same time.
How does Buckets react to the new rules each quarter?
“It’s actually fun,” he said. “You have these anticipatory feelings, you know excitement, so to speak. It’s exciting to have to improvise.”
Buckets said his favorite rule is Hot Hands Jersey.
“They call me Buckets cause I can score a lot of baskets,” he said.
While scoring is important, there’s an entertainment factor to the game.
“There’s an entertainment aspect of the game that allows you to kind of turn off the real seriousness of basketball for a second and entertain, then you have to turn it back on, the seriousness, because at the end of the day you want to win the game.”
Audiences can expect an interesting approach to the game of basketball when the Globetrotters play.
“They’re gonna get a chance to see some amazing basketball be played,” Buckets said. “They’re gonna see some trick shots close to the basket, from half court and maybe even from the stands. They’re gonna see lots of crowd participation.”
After the game, fans will get the opportunity to meet the players and get autographs signed before the players head to the locker rooms.
For more information on the event, visit www.gwinnettcenter.com.
Share ThisPrint This Page
- Get Connected
- INSIDER E-Newsletter Signup
- Infinite Energy Center Blog
- Social Media
- Latest News & Press Releases
- Day 1: Trans-Siberian Orchestra 2016 The Ghosts of Christmas Eve
- Day 2: Five Finger Death Punch & Shinedown
- Day 3:Shawn Mendes
- Day 4: Christmas with Amy Grant & Michael W. Smith
- Day 5: Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Presents Circus Xtreme®
- BONUS: The Lumineers
- Day 6: Atlanta Gladiators
- Day 7: TobyMac
- Day 8: Roger Waters
- Day 9: Georgia Swarm
- Day 10: Harlem Globetrotters
- BONUS: Green Day
- Day 11: Panic! At The Disco
- Day 12: Andrea Bocelli
- Share Your Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Memories